Wisconsin Conference Licensing School
WELCOME! On behalf of the Wisconsin Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, we invite you to participate in Licensing School. The WAC is committed to providing education to potential Licensed Local Pastors that is practical, timely, and convenient. We will do everything we can to ensure that your experience prepares you for beginning ministry. May God bless you as you discern your call to pastoral ministry.
- Where: Onalaska, WI UMC – In-Person Only
- When: May 5-11, 2024
- Cost: $750 Tuition plus your personal travel, motel, and meals expenses.
- Members of WAC receive a $750 scholarship from Board of Ordained Ministry upon successful completion of Licensing School
Why Should I Attend?
Wisconsin’s Licensing School has mostly in-person and some on-line components. In this “Boot Camp for Pastors” you will learn practical tools for ministry in areas of worship, preaching, sacraments, weddings, funerals, leadership, pastoral care, missions, education, evangelism, UM history and tradition and more. You will develop relationships with other clergy that will nurture your ministry.
Completion of the WI Licensing School is required for licensing to serve in a congregation. The license is given by your Conference and Bishop.
Licensing School, followed by Course of Study or seminary, is foundational for ministry as a pastor in the UMC. Your license must be renewed annually by the DCOM and the District Superintendent and is in effect only so long as you are serving a pastoral appointment.
You may attend if you are a Certified Candidate for licensed and ordained ministry who may be appointed to serve a local church (Book of Discipline 2016, paragraphs 310-319)
- The 2016 Book of Discipline
- United Methodist Book of Worship
- This Holy Mystery
- By Water and The Spirit
- Living Our Beliefs by Kenneth Carder, 2009 edition
- Worship with United Methodists revised edition by Hoyt L. Hickman
- Quick and Easy Guide to United Methodist Polity by Anne Burkholder
- The United Methodist Clergy Book of Firsts by F. Belton Joyner Jr.
- A scholarly study Bible such as The NRSV Harper Collins Study Bible or NRSV New Interpreters Study Bible.
For further information contact:
Registrar: Rev. Ty Hines,
Coordinator of Clergy Credentialing and Vocational Discernment
Dean: Rev. Cathy Hamblin: email@example.com