Director of Children and Youth MinistryThe Lake Mills United Methodist Church located in Lake Mills, Wisconsin is searching for a dynamic, engaging, Christ-centered individual to join our staff as the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry.
In this role, you will be an advocate and role model for the children and youth of the church, working to build young disciples for Christ. You will use your unbounded energy, enthusiasm, and leadership skills to develop and implement a comprehensive youth ministry program incorporating worship and music, Christian education, fellowship, team building, mission, and outreach.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry will work closely with the pastor on all aspects of the ministry. Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in a related area and/or certification in Youth Ministry or Christian education. For more information about this position, please contact our office.
Job Responsibilities:As Directory of Children’s and Youth Ministry, you will plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced children’s and youth ministry. Your responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
Children (Birth – 4th grade):
- Serve as Children’s Church superintendent by identifying and scheduling curriculum and by recruiting and supporting volunteer teachers, helpers, and music leaders
- Provide weekly educational and fellowship opportunities while school is in session (Kids Club)
- Deliver an engaging and impactful Vacation Bible School experience during summer break
- Collaborate with the pastor on Children’s Moment during worship
- Develop enriching family ministry or fellowship experiences at least once per quarter
Middle School Youth (5th-8th grade):
- Provide weekly educational and fellowship opportunities while school is in session (Middle School Youth Group and Middle School Sunday School)
- Create engaging middle school fellowship or service experiences at least once per quarter (may be combined with high school youth)
- Encourage faith exploration and affirmation by leading a Confirmation program in conjunction with the pastor
- Deliver at least one lock-in or retreat opportunity each year that is separate from the Confirmation program
- Coordinate and lead a regional or local mission experience for Middle school youth during a school break
High School Youth (9th-12th grade):
- Provide weekly educational and fellowship opportunities while school is in session (High School Youth Group)
- Create engaging high school fellowship or service experiences at least once per quarter (may be combined with middle school youth)
- Deliver at least one lock-in or retreat opportunity each year
- Coordinate and lead an extended mission experience for high school youth during a school break
- Engage youth in regular Sunday worship through attendance and participation
- Assist in planning holiday programs that share the gifts of all our young people with the congregation
- Establish positive, age-appropriate relationships with all children of the church
- Explore unique ways of raising funds to offset the costs of mission experiences
Congregation and Community:Congregational awareness is vital to achieving congregational support.
- Share the successes and needs of the children’s and youth ministry at monthly Administrative Council meetings
- Recruit and train parent and non-parent volunteers to help with events and support program needs
- Regularly promote your work to all members of the congregation
- Market our programs to, and engage with, the larger Lake Mills community to help our program grow and flourish
- Pursue opportunities for collaboration by building connections with staff from other churches that participate in the Lake Mills Ministerial Association
Consistency and Communication:The ideal candidate will be an excellent planner and communicator, and will recognize the value of consistency in driving engagement from both parents and youth
- Develop an all-activity calendar on a quarterly basis and distribute via email and website
- Provide weekly reminders of activity calendars through weekly church announcement email or separate youth ministry email, as well as through social media
- Deliver on program commitments regardless of attendance levels
- Navigate methods of reaching out to inactive families/children/youth to encourage participation and take feedback
Education, Qualifications, and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- A qualified candidate will be able to clearly articulate their sense of God’s call upon their life, gifts for ministry, and beliefs as a Christian.
- A bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in a related area and/or certification in Youth Ministry or Christian Education is required.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology as well as all LMUMC policies and procedures.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement a Youth Ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with good computer and social media skills. Grant writing experience is desirable.
- Be familiar with various avenues of social media and be comfortable reaching out to church youth through social media for the purposes of communication and developing relationships.
- Understand Child Safety Risks and follow the Safe Sanctuary Policy at all times.
- Present oneself and represent the church in a professional and friendly manner at all times.
- Meet confidentiality requirements
- Possess a state issued driver’s license and clean driving record
- Meet and maintain a background check that does not conflict with performing this role, which includes working around youth and having access to confidential areas, records, church assets and keys to our facility and office areas.
Anticipated work schedule:
- This position is a full-time equivalent (40 hours/week)
- The weekly work schedule will be agreed upon by the youth pastor and the pastor at the start of each quarter and published to the church calendar. Sundays and Wednesday evenings are expected working hours; other hours are flexible.
For more information about this position, please contact our office.