Bethany United Methodist Church is a progressive, 400-member congregation located in Madison, Wisconsin. The church has strong lay leadership and abundant musical talent, with 38 adults currently involved in three vocal choirs. Our congregation has a long history of musical excellence. We understand our musical offerings not simply as performances but as an important part of Christian worship.
Work Schedule: 15 hours per week. Thursday evenings (September-June), Sunday mornings (year-round including Easter), Christmas Eve, special events, and flexible office hours. Six Sundays personal leave annually.
Compensation: Salary range is $17,000-$20,000, commensurate with experience.
- Develop musical offerings for worship that are linked to worship themes and encourage lay participation:
- Direct adult vocal choirs, including planning repertoire, leading rehearsals, and conducting the choirs in worship.
- Create occasional opportunities for children and youth to participate in musical offerings (in coordination with parents and other staff).
- Create occasional opportunities for vocal choirs and bell choirs to share together (in coordination with director of bells).
- Create new vocal and instrumental ensembles on occasion to provide variety and to enhance worship.
- Utilize a broad repertoire of Christian music, including sacred, contemporary, international, etc.
- Provide leadership to choirs singing primarily at 10:00 worship and occasionally at 8:15 worship.
- Work collaboratively with the total ministry team at Bethany:
- Collaborate with pastor and Worship Team to plan music for worship.
- Coordinate music schedule with pastor, organist, director of bell choirs, director of children’s music, pianists, and all other musicians and staff for Sunday worship services, holidays, and special events.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings, depending on work schedule.
- Communicate music information to the office staff and pastor for publication in worship bulletins, newsletter, and online.
- Recruit and nurture talent, both vocal and instrumental:
- Recruit and coordinate paid and volunteer musicians.
- Coordinate with personnel liaisons of the Board in hiring/contracting instrumentalists, and in authorizing payment in communication with treasurer.
- Recruit volunteer soloists and ensembles during choir breaks (2-3 months per year) and for 8:15 worship.
- Arrange for substitute directors/pianists when needed.
- Encourage fellowship, service, care, and spiritual growth of musicians.
- Serve as music resource person for funerals, weddings, and special services.
- Administer music support resources:
- Supervise use and care of pianos, robes, music stands, microphones, and other music equipment (excluding pipe organ and hand bells), recruiting assistants as needed.
- Choose, order, and prepare music supplies.
- Oversee music budget and special music funds, in cooperation with the finance liaisons of the Board, and communicate budget to music staff.
- Organize and maintain music libraries, recruiting assistants as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent demonstrated proficiency in conducting choirs.
- Keyboard accompaniment skills are highly desirable but not required.
- Prior experience with church music is highly desired.
- Experience with asynchronous recording projects desirable but not required.
- Must pass background check.
Send resume and cover letter to the attention of the Music Director Search Team via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before May 31, 2021.
For more information about the congregation, please refer to the Church’s website: www.bethanymadison.org
Contact: Pastor Greg Jewison
Address: 3910 Mineral Point Road Madison WI 53705