UPDATES POSTED AT www.wisconsinumc.org
HIGHLIGHT FROM WISCONSIN CONFERENCE UMC: RESOURCES FROM THE PRE-GENERAL CONFERENCE NEWS BRIEFING ARE NOW AVAILABLE
- Pre-General Conference Video Archive: The Pre-General Conference video discussions, presentations, worship and other highlights are now available online.
- Pre-General Conference News Briefing: Diverse issues presented at a recent three-day briefing signaled the workload ahead for the lawmaking body of The United Methodist Church, which meets this spring. Read more.
- Pre-General Conference Photos: Click here to view Pre-General Conference photos.
- Wisconsin Conference Delegates Blog: Click here for insights from our Wisconsin delegates.
ATTEND GODLY DECISION-MAKING: THE PRACTICE OF DISCERNMENT - A LENTEN RETREAT ON MARCH 2ND
Kettlewood Retreats invites you to a Lenten retreat about discernment at Cedar Valley on Friday, March 2nd, from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Discernment has been described by one theology professor as "the intentional practice by which a community or an individual seeks God in concrete situations."A special perk will be an opportunity to put spiritual discernment to work as you engage in walking prayer on an indoor labyrinth. Retreat leader Rev. Jane Anderson is a pastor at First Congregational UCC in Appleton. The noon meal is included. To register, send a $50 check (made payable to Rev. Holly Whitcomb) to: 2095 Elm Tree Ct., Elm Grove, WI 53122. The deadline to register is February 25th. Please include your name, address, e-mail, and phone number(s). Upon receipt of your registration, you will receive a map. For more information, call 262-784-5593 or visit http://www.kettlewoodretreats.com.
DON'T MISS WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY'S 31ST ANNUAL RURAL MINISTRY CONFERENCE MARCH 4TH - 6TH!
Wartburg Theological Seminary's 31st Annual Rural Ministry Conference will take place March 4th - 6th at the Best Western Plus Hotel located at 3100 Dodge Street in Dubuque, Iowa. This year's focus is Courage in a Caring Community. The Rural Ministry Conference outreach is continuing to grow and has become an ecumenical conference for those working in small town and rural parishes throughout the Midwest. For more information, download the RMC brochure or visit their website and register online!
ATTEND THE SIXTH ANNUAL DAY OF ENRICHMENT, THE COMPASSIONATE MINISTRY OF HEALING, MARCH 16TH
Attend the Sixth Annual Day of Enrichment, The Compassionate Ministry of Healing, on Friday, March 16th, from 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the Viterbo University Fine Arts Center Hospitality Suite in La Crosse.
Keynote Speakers include Deb Murray, Psy. D., and John McHugh, B.A., S.T.B. You are encouraged to bring resource materials from your ministry to share with colleagues (such as a program, policy or process). To register, mail this form along with your check to Viterbo University, Parish Nursing, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601 by Friday, March 9th. For more information, call 608-796-3670 or send an e-mail to
. Scholarships are available by contacting Velma Hockenberry at
REGIONAL SPRING TOWN HALL MEETINGS WITH BISHOP LINDA LEE
Bishop Lee and the Wisconsin Conference Cabinet invite you to their Regional Spring Town Hall Meeting, the focus of which is Building Beloved Community. The Town Hall Meeting for laity and clergy will run from 7 - 8:30 p.m. (clergy will also meet from 4 - 5:30 p.m. with a break in between). Following welcome and introductions, attendees will discuss the following three questions in smaller groups; each question followed by a time of feedback from the tables to the large group:
- What does beloved community look and feel like?
- How do we build beloved community?
- What prevents us from living fully in beloved community?
Bishop Lee will share her vision of beloved community following these discussions. The Town Hall Meetings will take place at the following locations and dates. Feel free to attend the one that is most convenient for you. (No pre-registration is required.):
- March 19th - Capital-Coulee - Dodgeville UMC, 327 N. Iowa St., Dodgeville, WI 53533
- March 20th - Chippewa-Heartland - Hope UMC, 2233 Golf Rd., Eau Claire, WI 54701
- March 26th - Metros - Wauwatosa Avenue UMC, 1529 Wauwatosa Ave., Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 53213
- March 27th - Nicolet-Winnebago - St. James UMC, 100 W. Capital Dr., Appleton, WI 54911
REGISTER FOR CHANGE THE WORLD BEFORE APRIL 16TH AND GET A FREE RE-USABLE LAWN BANNER!
Register for Change the World before April 16th and receive a free lawn banner, sermon series bundle, and T-shirt. In 2012, the church will come together, not only for General Conference, but also to change the world. United Methodists will extend justice and compassion in community on May 19th and 20th. UMCOM will chart your event on the rethinkchurch.org map. National advertising will draw thousands of visitors to the website. They will see your church on the map and know how to join your event. Click here to see last year's events. Projects ranged from developing and enhancing community gardens to fighting human trafficking. Think now about how your congregation will change the world! Change the World 2012 seeks to build community locally and fight malaria globally. The Call to Action report reminds us that vital congregations have "disciples engaged in mission."Dive deep this year with Change the World. It is a wonderful opportunity to connect mission-minded disciples with the global impact of our worldwide connection. Visit www.umcom.org/changetheworld to learn more!
CELEBRATE GOD TIMES AT JUNIOR HIGH CONVO APRIL 20TH - 22ND
Psalm 149: 3: Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to Him with tambourine and lyre.
Join the fun, fellowship and worship at 2012 Junior High Convo, April 20th - 22nd! We are excited to Celebrate God Times with you and our worship leader, Peder Eide; our speaker, Zane Black; and our band, Gain of Ten in a new venue, Blue Harbor Resort in Sheboygan. Early registration is $79. Scholarships are available -- please call the Conference office at 888-240-7328. The special room rate at Blue Harbor is good only through March 14th, so please make your reservations early! Click here for more information and to register for the event.
FOUNDATIONS FOR BEFRIENDER MINISTRY WORKSHOP IS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 25TH - 28TH
Ever wondered how you can meet the growing need for pastoral care in your congregation? Foundations for BeFriender Ministry is a workshop for leaders who want to implement and maintain a listening ministry of lay pastoral care in their church. Who Attends? A team of 2 - 5 from your church including at least one staff member and one or more lay volunteers or current BeFriender Ministers who seek to become program leaders. When: April 25th - 28th. Location: Community United Methodist Church, W68 N563 Evergreen Blvd., Cedarburg, WI 53012. 2.5 CEUs are available for those who complete this four-day course. Register online at www.befrienderministry.org or check your local church office/newsletter for registration forms. For more information, contact Ellie Wilmeth at 262-377-8278.
ATTEND THE 2012 WISCONSIN FIVE - DAY ACADEMY FOR SPIRITUAL FORMATION JULY 8TH - 12TH
You are invited to experience five days of spiritual formation within a beautiful Wisconsin setting. Attend the 2012 Wisconsin Five - Day Academy for Spiritual Formation July 8th - 12th at the Pine Lake Retreat Center. Nurture your mind, body, and spirit, and experience the beauty of nature. Three CEUs will be granted by the General Board of Discipleship upon request at the Academy. To register, click here. The registration fee includes meals, lodging, lectures, and materials. Double occupancy is $595 per person. Single occupancy is $695. Register by April 1st and save $20. For more information, contact Barbara Dick at
. To download the brochure, click here.
CAMP SEASON IS QUICKLY APPROACHING!
United Methodist Summer Camps are a great way to Dig Deep, Plant Seeds, and Grow in Christian Relationships. Both youth and adults will strengthen their faith and grow in Christian community at camp this summer. Summer Camp promotional materials have been sent to all congregations and registrations are also available online. We have resources for planning your Camp Sunday. The above theme is related to the Parables, which will be our summer camp study this year. See you at CAMP!
- Cyclone Nargis Recovery in Myanmar: The people of Myanmar (Burma) are still working to recover from Cyclone Nargis, which killed more than 100,000 people in 2008. Gifts to International Disaster Response, Conference Fund number 5966, provide for disaster response and recovery worldwide. Please send your check to the Wisconsin Conference UMC Treasurer.
- Bishop Trimble, the Iowa Conference Immigration Task Force, and a special writing team led by Rev. Denny Coon and Rev. Roger Betsworth, have created a Lenten Bible Study on Immigration for local churches, small groups, and individuals. Download the Lenten Bible Study or click here to watch Bishop Trimble's introduction to the study. Learn more about the latest news for the Justice for Our Neighbors Program in the First Mondays newsletter.
- Help UMCOR prepare for spring storms by assembling and sending cleaning buckets. These kits provide the basic items families need to clean their home after a flood or other disaster. Learn how. No time to assemble kits? You can also send a check to the Wisconsin Conference UMC Treasurer for Material Resource Ministry, UMCOR Advance number 901440. Supplies for each bucket costs approximately $55.
TIPS AND RESOURCES
- Free Webinar for Small Group Leaders: Adults are Different! Adult Experiences of Faith will take place February 28th at 6:30 p.m. CST. It will provide help for teachers and leaders of adult groups in understanding some of the characteristics of adults that affect their participation and in planning more effectively for the members in their class or group. Register at www.gbod.org/adultseminars.
- Bullying Prevention Facebook Page: David A. Levine, Lee Domann, and Rev. Sue Lewan, who were involved with the October 2011 Bullying Prevention Workshop in Wisconsin, have started a Facebook page and a blog. They would like to welcome you to join, be part of the conversation, and to be part of the solution.
- Parish Nurse Newsletter: Read the latest from the parish nurses! Click here to read an article about women and heart health. Click here to read an article about National Children's Dental Health Month (February)
- A Hymn for Transfiguration: Click on the link for Much Brighter than a Thousand Suns, a hymn for Transfiguration. British Methodist pastor Andrew Pratt (photo, biography, contact information, links to other hymns) has composed this text based on the Transfiguration of Jesus text. The Mark 9:2-9 lectionary reading comes on Transfiguration Sunday (February 19, 2012).
VOLUNTEER AND GIVING OPPORTUNITIES
- March 14 - 17, 2012 Disaster Response Preparedness,North Central Jurisdiction Academy: Koinonia Retreat Center, 7768 Pilger Ave NW, South Haven, MN 55832 (off Highway 55). For more information, call 888-801-7746 or click here.
- Young Adult Opportunity to Become a Global Justice Volunteer: The Global Justice Volunteers Program is a short term service opportunity designed for young adults ages 18 - 30. Small teams of volunteers will spend 10 weeks learning and working alongside local communities throughout the world. Participants will explore the role and responsibility of the church to engage in mission, ministry, and service which seeks to transform our world into a more just place. The candidate application deadline is March 9, 2012. The program will take place June 3 - August 8, 2012. For more information, contact Kendra Dunbar at
or click here or here.
- Lay Leader Training Opportunities throughout Wisconsin: There are several upcoming lay leader training opportunities in different locations in Wisconsin. These include:
- Basic Lay Speaking:(Capital - Coulee) February 19th, 26th, March 4th, 11th, 2:30 p.m. - 5 p.m., Lancaster UMC, 216 South Monroe St., Lancaster, WI 53813, 608-723-4332.
- Lay Leader-Lay Member to Annual Conference Training for Chippewa and Heartland Districts:
- February, 25th, 9:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., First UMC, 154 Memorial Dr., Barron, WI 54812, 608-537-3229.
- February 26th, 1:30 - 5 p.m., Wesley UMC, 721 King Street, La Crosse, WI 54601, 608-782-3018.
- Lay Leader/Lay Member to Annual Conference Training in the Metro Districts:
- March 3rd, 9:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., St. Luke UMC, 623 Ontario Ave., Sheboygan, WI 53081, 920-458-3461.
- March 4th, 1:30 - 5 p.m., Franksville UMC, 10402 Northwestern Ave, Franksville, WI 53126, 262-886-0326.
- Lay Leader Training for Nicolet, Winnebago, Chippewa and Heartland Districts - Veteran and New!: March 24th 9 a.m. - noon, Mosinee United Methodist Church, 607 13th Street, Mosinee, WI 54455, 715-693-2125
Visit the Wisconsin Conference UMC website for more information on these and many more training opportunities!
- First United Methodist Church in Racine, Wisconsin Seeks a Part-Time Choir Director: Click here.
- Brodhead United Methodist Church in Brodhead, Wisconsin Seeks a Part-Time Secretary: Click here.
- Free Dinnerware: Concordia United Methodist Church has dinnerware to give away. It is plastic Texas Ware. They have over 100 place settings including dinner plates, dessert plates, sauce bowls, soup bowls, cups and saucers, and several serving trays/platters. For more information, contact the church at
- Free Copier: A full-sized Panasonic laser copier is available free to any church or ministry that is in need of one. It is a Digital Imaging Systems Model No. DP2330 Energy Saver Model. It is 45" high, 38" wide, and 30" deep. It is fully operational and has been regularly serviced. Please contact Emmanuel Community UMC in Menomonee Falls at 262-251-3830 if interested.
- Africa University Sends Thanks to the Wisconsin Conference UMC for Apportionment Support: The year 2012 marks Africa University's 20th anniversary of creating leaders for all of Africa. It's a milestone that transforms an ordinary year into an extraordinary one for all of us. What at first appears to be ordinary — that Africa University exists and has a story to tell — is, at the same time, truly remarkable. Africa University is a testimony of what God has done through you. Read full letter.
- Congratulations to Wisconsin Clergy Authors: Congratulations to Wisconsin Clergy Authors Sandra Herrmann, John Sumwalt, Larry Winebrenner and Keith Hewitt on the publication of their stories in Lectionary TALES for the Pulpit, Cycle B, CSS Publishing Company, Lima Ohio, 2011. The book is an anthology of stories for the entire church year from StoryShare, an online magazine for preachers and other storytellers, that is part of www.SermonSuite.com. The book is available from Amazon.com.
INPUT FOR ENEWS
If you have a Conference-related event, a hallelujah moment or a newsworthy story that you want included in ENEWS, or if you have a suggestion for ENEWS, please contact:
. Please send your submissions by the Friday prior to the week you would like the information featured. Note that ENEWS is also posted weekly on the home page under Newsletters at www.wisconsinumc.org. If you experience a web problem after hours, please report the issue to 608-729-4349.