2012 Charge/Church Conferences Information
and End-of-Year Report Forms
(U.M. Book of Discipline ¶246-249)
ANNUAL CHARGE/CHURCH CONFERENCE PROCEDURES
It is the responsibility of the clergy circuit teams to organize, in consultation with the District Superintendent, the routine annual charge/church conference. The clergy circuit teams may choose to:
- Utilize elders from the circuit who will conduct each charge/church conference on the circuit separately.
- Utilize a combination of elders from the circuit and elders from other circuits who will conduct each charge/church conference on the circuit separately.
- Utilize elders from the circuit and organize "cluster charge/church conference" where more than one church/charge would hold their conferences together.
- It is possible also to conduct a charge/church conference for the entire circuit at one time.
- In each of the above options it is possible for an elder to preside at her/his own church's charge/church conference. However, unless such a conference is done as part of a cluster, it is better an "outside" elder conduct the conference in order to better model teamwork on the circuit.
Once the strategy has been developed by the clergy circuit team:
- Have one person contact the regional office indicating the dates and times of each charge/church conference and which elder has been asked to preside.
- Each clergy then informs her/his administrative council/board/team the date and procedure that will be followed at their charge/church conference.
- Follow closely the Pastor's Planning Guide to ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed at the appropriate time.
- 2013 Support Worksheets are due ten days before a charge/church conference. Worksheets must be sent to the regional office.
- Other items as noted on the included "Items Needed by DS and Dates Due" sheet. Because the DS will not be at these charge/church conferences, it is important that all needed forms and paperwork be forwarded in a timely fashion.
PLEASE NOTE: The compensation package must be approved at the Charge/Church Conference. The clergy is responsible to see that the completed and SIGNED 2013 Support Worksheet and Report Form is sent or delivered to the District Superintendent's office for review NO LATER THAN (ten) 10 days prior to the scheduled Charge/Church Conference. If the form is not submitted by the deadline, the circuit leader, in consultation with the DS, is responsible for the rescheduling of the Conference.
Immediately following the charge/church conference:
- The presiding elder emails the district superintendent and the regional office administrator stating that the charge/church conference was completed and commenting on the general tenor of the conference and any issues that came up where follow-up is needed.
- Each clergy must submit minutes of a charge/church conference to the regional office within five days of the charge/church conference. In the event of a multiple charge/church conference, it will be the responsibility of the clergy of the designated recording secretary to submit the minutes.
- Complete items as noted on the "Items Needed by DS and Dates Due" sheet.